Home|  Fr Es |  Contact Us | Owners  | Advertise | Car Hire Insurance | Car Rental  |  Travel Insurance | Holiday Property Insurance
Select from menu
Other Countries
Insurance Services
Check list for Renters
Check list for owners
Travel Articles on jmlvillas Group sites below
About France - Further Information for Tourists
A Skiing Holiday Can Still Be Fun Even If You Don't Actually Ski
Barcelona Fact File What to see, where to go
Berlin in February
Biot — South of France Picture Gallery
Cannes Film Festival
Departments and Regions in France
Driving Abroad
Dublin - Ireland
Dublin at Christmas
Elgin Morayshire
Fact File South of France
Goodwood Revival 10 years on -2008
Historic Monaco Grand Prix
Images of Morocco-Maroc
Isle of Wight
Jazz à Juan - Juan-les-Pins Jazz Festival
Killin — Perthshire
Lisbon Fact File
Old South of France Photos 1920' and 1960's
Nice and the South of France in January
Nice Côte d'Azur - South of France
Nostagia in France
Riviera realty French Property News
Views of England
Views of London
Villages and towns in Berkshire
Villages and towns in South Buckinghamshire
Full Index of Tips & Topics in Countries at site
Full Index of Travel Articles at site

Views of France

Images ©jml property Services 09-05 has now been in operation over 15 Years

Taxes in FRANCE - information on French taxes for property owners (at 2005)

Taxes in France

So you are about to purchase that ideal property – If you require finance or don’t you still have to take into account the payment of property taxes.

In France the tax system is centralised, however the location of the property will ultimately determine how much you pay. First of all you have to pay the“notaire’s” fee. Most of this in fact goes to the government like Stamp Duty in the UK. This will work out around 6% to 8% of the purchase price. There is also a small land registry tax to pay.

The property sale is now complete. You have the“Taxe D’Habitation” which is a local tax. The amount you will pay is determined from the cadastral value of the property. This is based on the size and location –not market value. It is generally thought to be reasonable particularly in rural areas.

It should be noted that if you let your property as a holiday let and go there a few times a year you still pay the“Taxe D’Habitation”, but in many areas you will also have to collect a“Taxe de Séjour” from your “paying guests”. The authorities see it as you are making money from renting out the property then so you should pay them some revenue as well. This might only be a few cents per person per day, but it still has to be paid and it will depend on your local town hall.

The “Taxe foncière” is also paid annually. This generally quite low. There is also a wealth tax “Imp?t de solidarité sur la fortune” that is paid by owners of property worth in excess of €732,000. Inheritance tax:“Imp?t sur les successions” this usually has to be paid when the owner dies or one of them. You are also expected to pay tax on any rental income and although France has tax treaties with many countries including the UK it is worthwhile employing an accountant to help you manoeuvre through the French tax minefield. The above information is given without responsibility of accuracy. ©jml Property Services 09/05 .


Top of Page

Taxe de Séjour

If you are letting your holiday property, then you might well have to charge a daily tourist visitor tax as a hotel owner would normally have to pay. The issue came to the attention of a client in the summer of 2005.

The local Marie sent a tax demand for 2005 and also advised it had overlooked 2004 and 2003. Naturally there was no way to try and obtain any re-imbursement from 2005 clients who had completed formalities or any from previous years. The Marie in the South of France now requires 70 cents per adult per day. They state that even though a property owner is paying Taxe d'Habitation and Taxe Foncière the property owner is “still making money” on the letting and they want a small percentage for the village/town.

We asked some of our advertisers from around France and here is a selection of replies. There certainly does not appear a standard for France like with other taxes and you will see from the replies it varies from area to area or even Marie.

Taxe de Séjour is a local tax set by the Marie usually per head adults and over 12yr in our commune there are variable according to status of rental ,hotel gite camping or immeubles pour location. Our rate is .30€ per head per day so 2.1€ per week so could be 8.4€ per family per week , which is a joke if you have to charge the tourist that sum so its included in the rental . There isn't much of a "control" so I never have more than one family stay in a gite with children always under 12 years old”

“Can't really help our village there is no Taxe de Séjour but in neighbouring villages there is...I think perhaps it depends on your Mayor and the rules of your commune”

“Yes we are aware though that it only applied to Brittany( our local rates are 50 cents per night for Adults only between June and August, it is something that apparently was tried a few years ago without success”

“Our experience of this is that each individual Marie has the right to impose the charge but they are not oblige to. We have never registered our 2 little cottages with the tourist board as we stick to clients from anywhere else in the world. Perhaps this has helped us avoid the problem. Our main property in which we do B & B as well as renting it out, was first registered with Gites de France and because of that we just got into the system (we even have a Siret number). But again, our local Marie has never imposed a tourist tax on us — get friendly with the Maire!”

If you have any further input please contact us to let us know. To contact us CLICK HERE ©jmlpropertyservices10/05


Top of Page

Tax Declarations in France

In France anyone (either resident in France or Non resident) who derives income from a French based property, irrespective of where that income is paid or received , must make an annual declaration of that income to the French Revenue authorities.

It is not sufficient to rely on the fact that the income may have been declared to the Uk Inland Revenue. There is also evidence of increased contacts between the UK Inland Revenue and their French counterparts.

As it is a French based asset the French authorities will expect the first option on the tax on that income . It is also the responsibility of the Tax payer to make the declaration and not simply to rely on the Tax authority sending them a declaration.

The penalties for late/non declaration can be severe. source David Gibson — Cabinet Berthet: If you would like to contact David Gibson please CLICK HERE complete the Contact Box and we will forward on the enquiry ©jmlpropertyservices10/05


Top of Page

N.B. This information on this page should not be relied on for accuracy and is presented here without the responsibility of jml Property Service and the website it is being displayed at. ©jml property Services 09-05


TO ENTER THE MAIN SITE for Self catering holiday rentals in France CLICK HERE

How did the South of France look in the 1920s and 1960s? Click Here for photos

Buying or selling a car in France? Click Here for our Factfile

Buying a property in France? Click Here for our Factfile

A Skiing Holiday Can Still Be Fun Even If You Don't Actually Ski Click Here

Looking for more information on France Click on the flag below

Advertise your holiday vacation home property In France and Corsica at + FREE advertising on and our French language site Euro villa and if the property is in the South of France - Cote dazur

the low cost villa advertising service

Click Here for details

Driving in France?

Use the guide

Find jml on twitter

jml Insurance | jml villas | jml Training |insurance4carrental | Irish Property Insurance Plus

Find jml on facebook jml villas | jml Insurance


jml are members of the Riviera Business Club (RBC) in the Côte d'Azur France    -

-- has now been in operation over 15 Years


Find us at | | |

about us | contact us | disclaimer links | insurance | weather | currency convertor | site map | media & press centre | privacy / cookies policy

© 2001 - 2016 jml Property Services - PO Box 80 - Princes Risborough - Buckinghamshire - HP27 0WA, England