Home |  Advertise@jmlvillas | Car Motorhome Van Hire Excess Insurance | Car Hire  |  Travel Insurance | Holiday Property Insurance
Select from menu
Other Countries
Insurance Services
Check list for Renters
Check list for owners
Travel Articles on jmlvillas Group sites below
About France - Further Information for Tourists
A Skiing Holiday Can Still Be Fun Even If You Don't Actually Ski
Barcelona Fact File What to see, where to go
Berlin in February
Biot South of France Picture Gallery
Cannes Film Festival
Departments and Regions in France
Driving Abroad
Dublin - Ireland
Dublin at Christmas
Elgin Morayshire
Fact File South of France
Goodwood Revival 10 years on -2008
Historic Monaco Grand Prix
Images of Morocco-Maroc
Isle of Wight
Jazz Juan - Juan-les-Pins Jazz Festival
Killin Perthshire
Lisbon Fact File
Old South of France Photos 1920' and 1960's
Nice and the South of France in January
Nice Cte d'Azur - South of France
Nostagia in France
Riviera realty French Property News
Views of England
Views of London
Villages and towns in Berkshire
Villages and towns in South Buckinghamshire
Full Index of Tips & Topics in Countries at site
Full Index of Travel Articles at site










 has now been in operation over 15 Years Guide to buying a property - Spain



Organizing a buying visit inspection? Click here

Frequently asked Questions

Borrowing money to finance the project - If you live in the UK for example and work there, should you borrow to buy a Spanish property in the UK? One way is to re-mortgage the UK property, however there is an argument that the debt that you have created by purchasing the property should be in the same currency as the country you purchased it in. You would have to obtain a Euro mortgage and then service the mortgage either from local rental income or transferring money from the UK. There are plus sides and negative sides. The interest rates on euro   mortgages might be lower than sterling rates for a while to come, the strength of the £ pound might weaken so your pound does not buy so many euros and then you have to pay currency transfer charges on every payment. See independent professional help and check out costs from lenders in Spain and the UK.

FACT File - Property Taxes in Spain

So you are about to purchase that ideal property - If you require finance or don't you still have to take into account the payment of property taxes. In Spain.

You have to pay an income tax "Impuesto de la renta" and a wealth tax -"Patrrimonio". This is arranged on a sliding scale climbing to 2.5% on properties over 10.7m. The base rate for the tax"Impuesto de la renta" - income tax is 1.1% of the cadastral value of the property. This determined by the size and location. Non residents pay 25% of the tax base.

If you are renting out the property the tax rate you have to pay is 25% of the annual rent. You are not allowed to make deductions for expenditure.

When you sell the property a non-resident is subject to 35% capital gains tax, however you can take off the costs for improvements during ownership.

There is also a local tax"Impuesto sobre bienes inmuebles" This based on the cadastral value of the property.

Inheritance tax rate varies from 7.65 per cent to 81.6 per cent.

Holiday rental income is subject to VAT at 16 per cent.

It is probably worthwhile using an accountant to assist you with these tax returns.

Insurance in Spain - Home and Household property Insurance in Spain

Information below is provided in good faith, but as conditions are always changing, professional advice should be sort before arranging insurance.The information should not be relied on for accuracy.

Building and contents insurance (continente y contenido) . Contents insurance (contenido)

Insurance Policy options you should check include the following:

  • Accidental damage cover and "All Risks" outside the home
  • Increased limits for liability cover
  • Liability cover for dangerous dogs, cover for non-dangerous dogs is normally automatically included
  • Property Owners Liability (landlords) for rented accommodation q Standard comprehensive policies with public liability insurance (also known as liability to third parties)

Household insurance (seguro del hogar) in Spain generally includes the building, its contents and third party liability. Insurers do not have to be based in Spain and as such an Insurance company broker based in the UK with a policy written in English can be beneficial. Click Here for further information. Some of the Spanish based companies also offer the policies written in English. Insurance policies often appear confusing in any language, so unless you are fluent in Spanish it might well be beneficial using a provider based in the UK.

Contents Insurance (Contenido)

Home insurance policies in Spain are generally on a "new for old" basis (this means that in the event of a claim insurers will settle the claim based on the value of a similar but new item to the one lost or damaged). It is therefore important that the contents sum insured reflects the replacement value.

In the UK bathroom and kitchen fitments are usually covered under the buildings section of a policy. In Spain this is not always the case and the value often has to be included under the contents sum insured. This is worthwhile checking out when you take out your insurance cover.

Building's Insurance (Continente)

As in most countries, the building sum insured should represent the rebuilding value for the property and not the market value. Rebuilding costs have risen dramatically in Spain over recent years; it is important that the rebuilding sum insured is realistic or any claim may be reduced for underinsurance. As a rough guide the rebuilding sum insured should be about 1,500 per square metre of a constructed property. (This approximate amount being quoted in 2009, but you should not rely on this figure)

Another consideration when arranging your insurance, is that quite often with an insurance company based in Britain, your insurance value e.g. cost of rebuilding or contents would be in sterling. In the last few years when the has got weaker and the euro stronger it has meant that you might not be adequately insured.

Inflation is accommodated by index linking which covers standard inflationary increases. This is reviewed automatically annually by insurers. Market forces can cause variations locally and the insured should request advice if unsure that the sum insured is adequate. Generally, standard policies do not have any excess although a reduction in the premium can be obtained if an excess is taken. If you are using a UK provider, you might find there are excesses and again check this out before purchasing.

If the owner has a mortgage on the property, the lender will usually insist on building insurance with a clause on the policy noting their interest.

Holiday Homes

The owner of a self catering holiday property that is rented out as holiday accommodation must make sure that the insurers are aware it is let for holidays. You should check that there is adequate public liability cover as a landlord. Liability limits of Spanish insurers tend to be fairly low, although some Spanish insurers do offer higher limits and this should be checked with the adviser or insurer.

If the property is a holiday home insurers must be advised of the periods of non-occupancy. If for example you need to keep the electricity on during periods of non occupancy for heating, alarms, garden irrigation etc, you should let the insurance provider know.

People who live in a domaine, should be aware that their community policy may not provide cover in the event of damage to the buildings. Advice on this point should be sought from an insurance adviser.

Making a property insurance Claim

Claims must be reported to the insurers or insurance adviser as soon as possible. Policies usually have a time limit for claims of seven days (check on the policy). Contact the adviser or insurance provider by telephone, fax, letter or email. Although it is written in the policy that claims must be reported within seven days, if there are circumstances, which prevent the client from doing this, then insurers will normally take this into account when dealing with the claim.

In the case of a robbery, malicious damage or arson a police report (denuncia) must be obtained and sent to the insurer with the claim.

N.B. This information should not be relied on for accuracy and is presented here without the responsibility of jml Property Service and the website it is being displayed at. jml property Services 12-05 / 12-09


Looking for Property insurance for your Spanish Property? Click on Logo below


Fact file Barcelona - What to see - Where to go CLICK HERE


Driving in Spain, The Balearrics and The Canary Islands ?

Use the guide

To return to for Spain Click Here



Advertise your holiday vacation home property In Spain, The Balaeric Islands and Cannary Islands at

the low cost villa advertising service

Click Here for details


Find jml on twitter

jml Insurance | jml villas | jml Training |insurance4carrental | Irish Property Insurance Plus

Find jml on facebook jml villas | jml Insurance


jml are members of the Riviera Business Club (RBC) in the Cte d'Azur France    -

-- has now been in operation over 15 Years


Find us at | | |

about us | contact us | disclaimer links | insurance | weather | currency convertor | site map | media & press centre | privacy / cookies policy

2001 - 2016 jml Property Services - PO Box 80 - Princes Risborough - Buckinghamshire - HP27 0WA, England home